Friday, September 14, 2007

How do you feel about your temple?

Romans 12: 1- "Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship."

I Corinthians 3:16- "Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?"

We are so familiar with these verses but do we really ponder what they mean for our bodies? These verses have really been laid upon my heart this week as I live life. I'll share a little of what I've been thinking about.

The obvious reference that people make is that we should not dump junk into our bodies....eating lots of junk food is not presenting our bodies as the temple of God. The case can be made for other things as well: drugs, cigarettes, alcohol, etc.

These verses are also thought of when instructing our young girls how to dress. Dress modestly because you are the temple of God.

I also see an additional view on these verses. We need to look at how we carry ourselves and what we say about our bodies. If you were presenting an actual offering to God, you would not say, "well it's alright but Abraham's is so much better" or "Look how terrible my offering looks!" No! We would want to give Him our very best and we would be proud to present it to Him and hope it is worthy of Him.

The same can be said about a temple. Would we build a temple and then disgrace it by saying, "It's hideous! I don't want it to be in pictures!"? No! We would be pretty proud of that temple and want to show it off to the Lord!

This has made me look at not only how I treat my body but how I offer it to the Lord. Why would I present my body as "substandard" when it's to be dedicated as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God? I could go on and on but I will close for now!

Have a fabulous weekend!
Sarah

No comments: