It has been almost two years since we moved to Texas. I think there is something to be said for God only giving us enough light on our path for the next step or two because if He would have switched on the light to show us the whole "room," I would have went running!
There is so much I want to write about what is going on in our lives that I don't know where to begin!
I will start with work for right now.
Walt enjoys his job at the VA as a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor. It is the same position he had in Omaha but he works for a larger regional office and is learning how the VA works from a different part of the country. It has been a blessing to see him happy with work again.
After a couple unsatisfactory jobs, we decided to look for a fun job for me with less stress especially since we were trying to start a family.
So I applied at Old Navy and didn't hear back for several months until they needed temp help for the holidays (insane!!) in 2005 but loved it and was offered to stay permanently. Shortly after that, I was asked if I wanted to be a part of the shipping and receiving team. (receiving the boxes off the delivery truck and putting the new clothing out) This was so much better than folding clothes or standing in the fitting room all day! Then I was asked to be a part of the markdown team. (running around the store scanning everything twice a month to see what had been marked down...talk about finding all the bargains!!!)
While definitely not part of my career plan, I truly enjoyed this job and was content. We still had no success in the trying to conceive and I soon desired a full-time position with better pay.
After praying about it, Walt called me one day and told me that one of his co-workers asked if I would be interested in the temp job at their office. Walt was surprised when I was excited about it. I decided to apply and was hired.
So since April 2006, we have worked together in the same office. People eyes get really big when they hear this and even bigger when I tell them that Walt's office and my cubicle are not more than 10 feet apart. His office just happens to be the closest office to the temp cubicle. Walt and I have the same boss and I do tasks and projects for him and the other eight voc rehab counselors. I've been asked if its weird doing thing for Walt at work and without thinking, I replied, "well, I do things for him at home but at least here I get paid for it!"
We really enjoy working together and miss each other when one has a doctor appt or when Walt is out in the field for work. We save lots of money on gas while carpooling to work everyday!
We are blessed that while my job is a temp job, I have a contract until September 30, 2008, free health insurance (no premiums), and received 2 weeks vacation after working there for a year. Those were bonuses we weren't expecting! Plus, my favorite perk- all the government holidays paid! (You know you love them, Christy!)
That's it for now!
I promise all the posts won't be this long!
-Sarah
Restored
8 years ago
3 comments:
Who is the other couple that has a blog? Do we know them, if so I'd love their blog address too! Have a great and relaxing weekend.
I am not sure but I think i am the other blog person. Our blog is at rybenskilife.blogspot.com but it is password protected. If you give give me your email I can send you an invite if you reaally want to read it.
You guys are the best and I love your blogs!
Post a Comment