Sunday, September 9, 2007

CONTENTMENT

Webster.com defines it as “satisfied.”

Or the source that many use regularly, Wikipedia, defines contentment as “the neuro-physiological experience of satisfaction and being at ease in one's situation.”

The Bible mentions contentment a few times (see verses below) and Paul says he learned the great secret of being content in any and every situation.

“Being content whatever the circumstances” is a tough thing to do.

Am I really content? There are things I love about my life and make me so happy but are the three things I am waiting to happen keeping me from being content now? Am I truly thankful for what I have now even though I don’t have those things or may never have them? I think I’m content but then something happens that makes me think again. It’s a struggle and one that has been on my heart this week.

Pray for me as I explore this in more detail.

Thanks,
Sarah


Verses mentioning contentment:
Proverbs 19:23: The fear of the LORD leads to life: Then one rests content, untouched by trouble.

Phil 4:11-12: I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.

I Timothy 6:6: But godliness with contentment is great gain.

1 comment:

Ahlbrandt said...

Hey Sarah.....I struggle with you regarding this issue as you know. Let's continue to pray for one another that God would lead us to complete contentment no matter what the circumstances may be. A peace that surpasses all understanding in all things!
BTW - I totally love the Philipians verses you referenced....we need to carry those with us always.

Love you guys!
Traci