Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Do Nothing Day

Saturday was our monthly “Do Nothing Day.” A do what day? It’s a day that we started in Texas after being so busy and we wanted to just DO NOTHING on a Saturday and not feel bad about it! We were only able to implement it one Saturday before life got pretty hectic and then we relocated to Arizona. We’ve been talking about how we need to bring it back and so in February, we picked out a Saturday in March and eagerly looked forward to it.

You all know how much we love to travel but this Do Nothing Day is more refreshing than many weekend trips we’ve taken. Why? Because you don’t spend any money or energy to get away. We give ourselves the day off from working out, cleaning, and going anywhere. Quite frankly, we spend most of the day in our jammies and it’s not being lazy because this is our objective for the day!

We have really ramped it up and our bedroom has become a hotel room the night before our Do Nothing Day! Walt brings up his coffee pot and something for breakfast that doesn’t have to be chilled. We sit in bed like we would at a hotel, with books and a laptop without a rushed agenda and it’s nice. (With palm trees and mountain views from our bedroom, it's not too much of stretch to feel like we're on vacation!)

Every month to prepare for our Do Nothing Day, I work a little harder during the week to clean the house so I’m not thinking of everything I think I should be doing…it’s already done. I do the laundry on Thursday/Friday including fresh sheets on the bed (the best when sleeping in!), ironing so that everything is ready Sunday and the next week. (I do this every week anyway so it’s not a big change.) On Friday, I make something that we can eat on Saturday night so I don’t have to cook and clean up on Saturday. I usually try to make something different than what’s on the menu for Friday night so it feels special!

Ironically, our last two Do Nothing Days have been very productive. In March, we perused books, discussed what activities we want to do and what meals we want to cook when we take a trip in May with Walt’s Aunt. This past Saturday, we did a lot of research on SLR cameras and lenses. So not only did we meet our goal of doing NOTHING, we also got something else done as a bonus!

I know that it may seem like because we are childless that makes it possible but I will still implement this when we are blessed with children. The goal is to spend time together as a family away from outside pressures. We’ve declined events because of our Do Nothing Day scheduled and in Texas, we changed our Do Nothing Day to a different weekend because something truly warranted our time that day. As with weight loss, debt reduction, and everything else, I truly believe where there is a will, there is a way. Even if for certain seasons, it’s only every other month, it’s worth the effort!

We are looking forward to our next Do Nothing Day scheduled on May 1st!

No comments: