Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A Respectful Choice

It goes without saying that I am disappointed in the results of last night. I want to say that unlike so many Americans have done to President Bush, I am going to respect the authority and position of the man God has placed in charge of our country. Not because I agree with him but because he will be our leader. We need to remember that.

To those of you with children, I petition that you raise your children in a way that is respectful of our President. Whether your children were planned or surprises, you have been given the responsibility to model respect for authority to your children. This will be a foundation for them respecting federal and local governments, law enforcement, teachers, and so much more.

For some reason, the last few months, I have been thinking about a particular age of Americans: those 16-24. Why? Because too many of them have spent the last 8 years of their lives hearing their parents, family, the media, and other adults berate the President in a way that will shape the rest of their lives. For them to hear opinions that President Bush is a moron, idiot, or boob will no doubt cause problems in society on national and local levels. It is unprecedented to release a movie about a standing president yet it shows concrete evidence of the lack of respect in society.

I was 14-22 when President Clinton was in office. I did not disrespect him the way I hear so many young and old disrespect our current president. There were disagreements about his actions but such disgraceful names were not used. It wasn't because he was better, it was because he was better respected so let's do the same for President-Elect Obama.

It saddens me that so many who voted for President-Elect Obama do not know the implications of their actions. They do not know that some of the initiatives that he is for could affect the Christian community. While he may mean no harm, there are plenty of individuals that do and they will twist legislation, if passed, to make a huge impact on our religious freedom. Trust me, abortion could be the least of our issues.

It will be interesting to watch 1, 2 or 3 years from now...will those Obama voters who become dissatisfied with some of the decisions President-Elect Obama makes or promises he may not keep still be respectful of their chosen leader or will they sing a different tune because respect is no longer important in society? We shall find out.

2 comments:

Amy E. said...

Well said..and so important to be said. I have had some neat opportunities to talk to my students this week, especially today.

The Liberto Family said...

I have trying to think of the right words or what I feel about all of this on my blog. You feel the same way I feel. Thanks for the post!